Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ask and you shall...

Everything comes to us that belongs to us if we create the capacity to receive it."
-Rabindranath Tagore

re·ceive/riˈsēv/

Verb:
  1. Be given, presented with, or paid (something): "most businesses will receive a tax cut".
  2. Take delivery of (something sent or communicated): "he received fifty inquiries".
I've worked a lot on acceptance, and forgiveness, happiness, making myself happy, looking out for me, moving forward.....something I am still stuck on in certain parts of my life is receiving. I have such a difficult time being the recipient of "niceness". I like to give. I read this quote and totally related to it:


 From then on, I realized this is what I want to do, what I'm supposed to do: Giving energy and receiving it back through applause. I love it. That's my world. I love it. I enjoy it. I live for it." -Erykah Badu

I know that is often what brings me the most happiness---giving. Whether it be cookies on my blissful block, a handshake and a smile as my wonderful boys enter the studio, or the cashier at the register that deserves a thank you--I love that external energy. 

However, it makes it a bit difficult when I sometimes also feel like this: 

There is a secret about human love that is commonly overlooked: Receiving it is much more scary and threatening than giving it. How many times in your life have you been unable to let in someone's love or even pushed it away? Much as we proclaim the wish to be truly loved, we are often afraid of that, and so find it difficult to open to love or let it all the way in. -John Welwood


For this Happy Tuesday, I'm working on the giving as well as the receiving. May you have a Tuesday filled with receiving all the beautiful things that life is offering to you....and take 'em darn it!

When you truly give up trying to be whole through others, you end up receiving what you always wanted from others. -Shakti Gawain
Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need. -Kahlil Gibran

Just for a bit of fun:

No comments: