Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Be good to you


Last week, I had the opportunity to go with one of my favorite neighbor peeps, Lisa, to her weekly yoga class at East Yoga. The class was great (not the same as my favorite Tglaz at Abhaya in Dumbo...) and she had us focus on a person we loved and something we wanted to give that person. I chose one of the most loved people in my life and chose love of self. We spent the hour and fifteen minutes devoting our practice to them, and fast forward, at the end of class the teacher says, "...and you chose this quality for your person because it's actually what you need for yourself". Bazaam! Totes.

You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection. -Budddha

I think I'm really good at loving other people. I'm good at taking care of them. Making their favorite treat to surprise them. Finding the perfect little thing to suit them. Listening when they need to talk. But, I'm not the best at taking care of myself. I hate cooking for myself. I'd rather listen than blabber on about my problems. I'll make a flour filled dessert before a mediocre gluten free treat that I could have myself....

So, this week's Happy Tuesday is about taking care of yourself and being good to yourself. Take some time today and do something for you that you would normally do for someone you love. Love who you are today and take care of that beautiful person.


If you aren't good at loving yourself, you will have a difficult time loving anyone, since you'll resent the time and energy you give another person that you aren't even giving to yourself. -Barbara De Angelis


People who do not love themselves can adore others, because adoration is making someone else big and ourselves small. They can desire others, because desire comes out of a sense of inner incompleteness, which demands to be filled. But they can not love others, because love is an affirmation of the living growing being in all of us. If you don't have it, you can't give it. 
-Andrew Matthews



It is of practical value to learn to like yourself. Since you must spend so much time with yourself you might as well get some satisfaction out of the relationship. -Norman Vincent Peale






No comments: